Church of St Paul & St Margaret (1866)
Town Street, Nidd, N.Yorks, HG3 3BN
10.30 Book of Common Prayer service every Sunday
Details of the Grade 2 listed building.
1866 by Healey for Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall. Gritstone, graduated
grey slate roof. 4-bay nave with west tower of 3 stages, north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Gothic arch to gabled porch; roll moulding and hoodmould possibly C13. Nave windows of 3 cusped lights, chancel of 1 and 2 lights. Large buttresses; gable copings, cross finials. 3-light east window with 2 quatrefoil and I trefoil opening under a hoodmould. The north aisle has three 2-light and one 3-light window; the vestry has a
plain 4-light window. The west tower has angle buttresses up to bell stage,
gableted to top of first stage, paired lancets to west, narrow lancets on each side to second stage and laborate 2-light belfry openings with central shaft in large pointed arch with attached shafts, hoodmould and pierced quatrefoil and inner cusping to tympanum. Embattled parapets and crocketed finials. Interior. The porch is lined in limestone ashlar and the inner board door has 3-pronged hinges. 3 quatrefoil columns to the north aisle of the nave which is floored, together with the chancel, with polychrome tiles.
The font in the base of the tower is circular with a deep rim band as is from the earlier church as are several pieces of carved stone. The walls of the church are very plain, unplastered; memorials are to the Rawson and Butler (Mountgarret) families. The stained glass window in bay 2 of the north aisle depicts the nativity with shepherds and is a memorial to Henry Edmund the 13th Viscount Mountgarret of Nidd Hall (qv), who died in 1900. It is probably the orkmanship of Charles Kempe, as is the window in bay 4 which is a memorial to Elizabeth Rawson (d1900) and depicts the Madonna and child flanked by Simeon and Psalmist.
More details of the church here.
Here is an account from the York Herald of Saturday 8 February 1868 of the original consecration of Nidd Church. All three newspaper articles on this page appear by courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive web site www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk).
Northern Echo, Darlington. 8 July 1896
Knaresborough Post 3 October 1880. Wm Potts & Sons who installed the clock have since been taken over by Smiths of Derby. They still attend to the clock annually. Since installation, the clock has been fitted with an automatic winder, an arrestor for stopping the pendulum to change from GMT to BST and vice versa, and a device to silence the chimes through the hours of darkness for the benefit of hotel guests.
For more historical details of the Mountgarret family, the Manor of Nidd and the church, why not buy this booklet?
Recently revised by the present Viscount Mountgarret, it costs £5 from the back of church (open Sundays 9.30-11.30).